Dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN):
DPN is a type of pigmentation in this condition round-shaped bumps appear on the skin. Usually, they appear on the eyes and neck. Forehead, chest Cheek, and Back. Usually, these bumps on the skin are not dangerous. But, treatment is important when these spots become itchy and irritating skin. Their size is mostly from 1 to 5 millimeters. As a person gets older, the size of these bumps also increases. Initially, these bumps are very smooth. But, they start getting rough over time.
DPN or dermatosis papulosa nigra is nothing but pigmentation. These are black or brown spots. This pigmentation appears in Asian, African, and people of Polynesia. The disease is mostly seen in women than men.
What are the causes of Dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN)?
Because of genetic predisposition, 50 percent of people have DPN. If a person's mother, father, brother, sister, or any family member in your family is suffering from DPN, then there is a possibility that he might get it. Sometimes, it can appear due to an aging problems. So these spots develop after puberty and over time begin to grow.
Diagnosis of Dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN):
Dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN) spots are diagnose easily without any tests. However, in some cases, a biopsy may need to be done where doctors take a sample of the affected area of the skin and examine it under the microscope.
The best treatment for Dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN):
Dermatosis papulosa nigra is not a dangerous condition. But it can get worse with age so treat these spots on time. Some people feel low-confident because of DPN spots. Therefore, many people want to get rid of DPN for aesthetic reasons. The appearance of these spots can be reduce to a great extent with the help of modern medical treatments. There are two different methods are use to reduce DPN spots such as surgical or laser treatments.
1.Surgical method to treat DPN:
The surgical method consists of procedures like
- Scissor excision
- Shave excision
- The first treatment is Scissor excision. In this technique, the doctor removes the DPN spot very carefully with small forceps and curved scissors.
- Another treatment is shave excision. In this method, a small blade is used to cut the bumps of DPN and It does not require stitches.
- The third treatment is Curettage. In this treatment, a small scooping instrument is use to scrape the bumps.
- The fourth treatment is Electrocautery. In this procedure, an electric current are use to burn the bumps.
- The fifth treatment is Cryosurgery. In this treatment, liquid nitrogen is use for freezing the bumps.
- The sixth treatment is Electrodesiccation. In this method, DPN bumps are remove by dehydrating the superficial tissue of the skin.
So these were the surgical treatments DPN but they can cause scarring. Moreover, these treatments cannot prevent new bumps.
2.Laser treatment to treat DPN:
Another method is Laser treatment in which different frequencies and wavelengths are use and it include :
- Carbon-dioxide laser
- Long-pulsed neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet lasers (Nd: YAG lasers)
- KTP laser
- The first is a carbon-dioxide laser and it is good for removing DPN spots. And also it's quite safe. The chances of reappearances of DPN after this treatment is very low.
- Another is laser treatment, long-pulsed neodymium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet lasers (Nd: YAG lasers). In this procedure the wavelength of 1064 nm is use and it is also safe for dark skin. In this process the DPN bumps cannot get the blood supply and prevent growth. It is a slightly painful treatment and has minor side effects.
- The third treatment is a KTP laser and in this procedure, Potassium titanyl phosphate (KTP) crystal is use. So, the KTP laser is combine with Nd YAG laser for getting the best results.
So these were the laser treatments to treat DPN.
Dermatosis papulosa nigra home treatment :
These treatments depend on the size and severity of the spots. These treatments differ from person to person. Hence, different treatments have to be used. Someone can prevent DPN by taking the right treatment and following the right skincare routine. Some tips which can reduce the appearance of DPN spots.
- Wash skin at least twice a day with a good cleanser. Use a face wash containing salicylic acid or glycolic acid to cleanse the skin.
- SPF 30 sunscreen on the skin before going out in the sun. DPN spots start increasing due to overexposure to the sun. So do not ignore sun protection as it keeps skin protected from the sun. If a person stays outside for more time in the sun, then apply sunscreen every two to three hours.
- Do not scrub skin roughly. This can make the skin worse. Over-scrubbing or exfoliation makes the skin drier and the skin starts making compensatory oil, which makes the skin oily and also increases the chances of getting acne.
With these tips, a person can prevent DPN to a great extent.
Home remedies for the treatment of Dermatosis papulosa nigra (DPN):
Many times people use remedies to treat DPN. Some people apply garlic juice to the affected area and then apply a bandage on it. However, this can burn skin. Sometimes people also use vitamin C powder. However, there is no scientific evidence of whether it is helpful to remove DPN. Apart from this, it is also said that the use of castor oil reduces the appearance of lesions. These remedies are not scientifically proven. They can also damage the skin.
Therefore, always take a patch test on the skin such as behind the ear or the wrist before trying any home remedy. DPN spots can be reduce with Treatments. However, they can not be cured completely. These spots or bumps may return. They cannot be prevented.
DPN or dermatosis papulosa nigra is not a harmful or dangerous condition. However, it can be itchy. These lesions or spots start to grow and can spread all over the body over time. Some people can be emotionally affect so treat it on time. Go to a dermatologist Discuss with them. If the skin condition is very severe, then keep realistic expectations. Follow the instructions given by your doctor. Protect skin from sunlight. Take good care of skin.