Fingernails can tell us a great deal about our health, and give us clues into what I happening inside the bodies. Many people consume too much sugar and refined carbohydrates which depletes certain minerals from the body like zinc. Eating lots of refined foods can cause a deficiency in zinc, leading to problems in the body Such as hair loss, loss of taste/smell, and white spots on the nails. So maintain a steady supply of zinc in the diet to create strong, thick, and healthy nails.
Why white spot occurs on nails?
If the nails are pink and contain no white specks or marks then this is a good indicator that a person has healthy levels of zinc and calcium. However if someone has eaten too much sugar, white specks will begin to appear at the bottom of the nail bed and grow upwards as time goes on. This indicates that person has been deficient in zinc at some point. The nail takes approximately 6 months to grow, so if the white spot is halfway up the nail, this means the person was deficient in zinc around 3 months ago.
Why bodies become deficient in zinc?
6 natural methods to prevent these specks on nails
1. Pumpkin Seeds:
People who suffer from white spots need to start eating foods rich in Zinc. Eating 200g of pumpkin seeds each day provides 16mg of zinc, which helps to grow strong, pink, and healthy nails. It's also a good source of ALA, which helps improve blood flow to restore the nerves beneath the nails.
2. Eat Shellfish:
Eat shellfish at least 3 times per week such as mussels, oysters, crab meat, shrimp, cockles, and clams. These are loaded with Vitamin B12 and important minerals like zinc and copper. These nutrients help to heal and nourish the nails, making them smooth and strong.
3. Consume Apple Cider Vinegar:
Some people simply do not absorb enough Zinc and calcium because they have digestive problems like acid reflux or indigestion. Start taking 2-3 apple cider vinegar capsules before each meal, to help the stomach naturally absorb more minerals that strengthen the nails.
4. Take Zinc Chelate (30mg):
If a person does not consume much red meat, seeds, or seafood he may be deficient in zinc as it can sometimes be hard to get from other foods. Taking a supplement of Zinc in the form of Zinc chelate (bis-glycinate), or zinc picolinate can help to heal the nervous system and prevent white spots on the nails.
5. Cut Back On Grains Refined flour and grains:
Cut Back On Grains Refined flour and grains like bread, cereals, biscuits, pasta, and rice contain phytates that can block from absorbing zinc and calcium, causing spots and weakness in the nail. Replace these and eat more vegetables and berries to meet the fiber needs.
6. Nutritional Yeast:
High levels of stress can also deplete the zinc because it raises the stress hormone called cortisol which needs zinc to function. Eating 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast each day quickly soothes anxiety and nervous tension in the body. It's loaded with B vitamins which help to re-grow and restore nerves underneath nails.
Why zinc is so much important for body?
White spots that appear on the nail are caused by low levels of zinc in the body, due to stress, eating refined foods, or not consuming enough foods rich in zinc. Zinc enables the proteins in the nails to grow and remain strong. Without enough zinc the rate of nail growth decreases, causing white spots and fragile or brittle nails that are more likely to crack.
Following are the steps to nourish the nail and prevent white spots from appearing in the future, whilst the nail grows out.
- It's also recommended to consume lots of leafy green vegetables, and sea vegetables as these will boost calcium levels, another key mineral to strengthen the nails.
- Get regular and vigorous exercise for at least 5 minutes each day. This will help to boost blood flow around the body so that the nutrients can get where they need to be.
- If someone suffer from indigestion, acid reflux, GERD or digestive disorders be sure to follow remedy #3, in taking apple cider vinegar capsules. Or simply consume 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar mixed in a glass of water before each meal. This helps the body to absorb zinc, calcium, B vitamins, silica, and other nutrients that support strong, smooth, and healthy nails.
- Vertical ridges on the nail, yellow discoloration, thick distorted lines, and other signs can all indicate problems within your body.