A stroke is an abrupt interruption of blood flow to the brain due to which there is no oxygen and nutrient supply to that particular area of the brain leading to the death of brain cells. So, a stroke referring to a brain attack. Once brain cells die they generally do not regenerate and devastating damages may occur. However, there are upwards of 800 000 strokes that happen annually in the United States that's one every 45 seconds.
Why stroke is an emergency condition?
The human brain is a very needy organ and that's why it requires a high blood volume. When the blood flow is disrupt like in a case of a tiny blood clot traveling to the brain vessel and occluding it brain cells begin to die. So, this can happen within minutes of the blood flow disruption and that's why stroke is an emergency. And symptom of stroke in eye also seen.
What are symptoms of stroke?
Symptoms of pre stroke may vary from person to person but usually begin suddenly as different parts of the brain.
- Sudden dizziness
- Loss of balance
- Disturb the balance of coordination of the eyes
- Face dropped on one side
- Numbness in one arm
- Slurred Speech
- Complete paralysis of one side of the body
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Loss of consciousness
What are the risk factors for stroke?
It’s not a disease in itself. It’s a manifestation of an underlying problem in the body more than three-quarters of strokes have a clear underlying cause which we can directly link to the blood vessel damage in the brain that causes the stroke. Those well-known conditions are called risk factors. Because they're directly connected to the risk of stroke. So, the greater risk factor for stroke are conditions that are well-known and highly treatable are:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Excessive alcohol use
- History of transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Physical inactivity and obesity
- Atrial fibrillation .people with atrial fibrillation a particular type of irregular heartbeat
- Hormone replacement therapy HRT due to this 29 percent increased risk of stroke
- Drug use for infections like covid
All of these can be treated very effectively and prevent the majority of the strokes happening in the United States and around the globe in a smaller proportion of patients.
What are risk factor for stroke that are uncontrollable?
- Age especially old people are at greater risk of stroke
- Gender stroke is more common in men than in women
- Heredity and race
- Heart attack
Diagnosis of stroke:
Stroke is preventable, treatable, and beatable. So, chances of recovery can improve once the stroke is diagnosed and managed early.
- It can diagnose by a brain scan called a CAT scan or computed tomography. A brain scan is like a powerful x-ray that helps us differentiate between a hemorrhagic or bleeding stroke and an ischemic or clotting stroke.
- Stroke scale CPSS and the face arm speech test are also use for the diagnosis of stroke.
- A cranial CT scan is the most important and useful initial diagnostic test. So, it can detect early ischemic signs very sensitively.
Treatment of stroke patients:
Medical treatment of stoke include:
- It can treat by thrombectomy. However, thrombectomy is a surgical intervention that is similar to cardiac catheterization except that the catheter is going all the way into the brain vessels to remove the clot directly. This is a special procedure that is done by very highly train doctors at stroke centers.
- Use Anticoagulants
- Blood pressure medicines used
- Carotid endarterectomy is also used
Other methods for treatment of mini stroke include:
- Speech therapy
- Rehabilitation exercise
- Full-body exercises
Everybody recovers at a very different rate.
How to control stroke naturally?
The American Heart and stroke association professionals developed a simple formula called life simple seven. In other words, this is a set of measures that they propose to prevent heart disease and stroke so treatment of stroke guideline are:
- Stop smoking
- Manage blood pressure
- Eat better
- Control cholesterol
- Reduce blood sugar
- Lose weight
30 minutes of moderate exercise five days a week also help reduce the risk of stroke.
Common mistakes in case of stroke:
If a person waits for the symptoms of stroke to go away then with every minute passing by brain cells are dying and causing irreversible damage to the brain. Moreover, People take aspirin which is wrong and potentially dangerous. Because if a person has a hemorrhagic stroke not an ischemic one then this could be a scary and potentially deadly mistake.